Decorating Your Room on a Budget: Ideas and Inspiration
So, you're moving into a new place with your partner and you want to give it a bit of a makeover but you don't want to break the bank in the process?
So, let's get started!
Here are a few tips for shopping savvy:
- Look for affordable furniture at charity shops, consignment shops, and online marketplaces like Adverts.ie, Donedeal or eBay.
- Opt for simple, classic pieces that will never go out of style.
- Think outside the box and get creative with DIY projects. There are plenty of great tutorials online that can show you how to make stylish home accessories and furniture yourself.
- Be choosy about what you buy and only invest in high-quality items that will stand the test of time.
How to Make Your Room Look More Expensive
Here are a few tips on how to achieve this:
- Use high-quality materials whenever possible. For example, opt for hardwood floors rather than cheap laminate, or choose quality curtains over thin voiles.
- Choose expensive-looking furniture. A plush armchair or an expensive-looking bedframe can make a world of difference.
- Add elegant touches wherever you can. A vase of fresh flowers, a stack of well-read books, or a pretty painting can all add a touch of luxury to your room.
Places to Find Cheap Furniture and Home Decor
- Charity stores (e.g. SVP)
- Garage sales
- Facebook Marketplace/Adverts.ie
- Department stores (during sales)
Summer Room Refresh on a Budget
Here are a few easy ideas to get you started:
- Paint is a cheap and easy way to completely transform a room.
- Choose a light, airy color to make your space feel bigger and more open.
- Add new accessories to give your room a new look.
- Try some colorful cushions, vases or lamps to brighten up the space.
How to Style a Room on a Tight Budget
- Start by deciding on a color scheme. This will give you a basic framework to work with and will help you to avoid feeling overwhelmed.
- Use accessories to add personality and character to your space. Cushions, throws, rugs, vases and flowers can all make a big impact for little cost.
- Think about what you already have and how you can use it in your new design. maybe you have an old armchair that you can re-upholster, or an old table that you can paint.
- Be creative! There are lots of ways to save money on decorating without compromising on style or quality.
Looking to get rid of your existing furniture?
What do you do with any existing pieces of furniture in good condition that are simply no longer a fit, as you look to declutter and make way for your rooms makeover.
One very good option is to donate to your local Saint Vincent de Paul (SVP) charity shop, who would be delighted to accept your furniture donations directly to any of their Vincent's Shops that accept furniture.
Not every shop has the capacity to accept furniture, their shops differ in size and scale. So therefore they can only accept furniture in some of the Vincents shops, and in some areas they can collect larger pieces of furniture.
Here you can find a full list of all the Vincent's Shops that accept furniture.